Before I jump knee deep into a passionate post, I just wanted to say that this particular post is full of fabulous giveaways from the folks over a Hyundai, so make sure you make it to the end to claim your goodies! Now on the the point of this post.
My entire life, I’ve heard women say derogatory things about each other. “I don’t trust women”, “I don’t get along with other women” or “women just don’t like me”. I’ve always been puzzled by that because other women have always been my greatest source of support and understanding. From where I sit, there is NOTHING quite like sisterhood and bonding with women that share your ideals, insights and goals.
I’m blessed to have a personal and professional network of amazing women, many have been in my life for decades. I won’t pretend that I have gotten along with every woman that I’ve ever met, quite frankly some people just aren’t my cup of tea. And yes, I have walked away from friendships that no longer served me. But for the most part I have built some awesome relationships with other women that have spanned decades based on 5 basic principles… here they are.
1. Be Freaking Honest
Honesty is sometimes brutal and other times liberating, but one thing I’m certain of is that it’s necessary to build a strong foundation for a relationship. If your friendship can’t tolerate the truth, then it might be time to re-evaluate it. Here’s a piece of honesty tho, sometimes total honesty has to be accompanied with things like timing and compassion. I measure my honesty by necessity. If it doesn’t NEED to be said, then I zip my lips.
2. Don’t Do Dumb Sh*t
Let me define the word “dumb”. It means not doing things that are dishonest, disloyal, disrespectful, self-serving or inconsiderate. PERIOD!
3. Claim Your Own Baggage
Stop making other people totally responsible for how you feel. Sometimes (many times) when people make us “feel” a certain way it speaks to our history. Painful things are often associated with baggage. Sometimes when we are hurt, we need to do more soul-searching than blaming.
4. Be Respectful (even when you’re angry)
No relationship can withstand disrespect. I know plenty of people that make the excuse of “I was angry”… welp, that’s not an excuse for loose lips and verbal attacks. That kind of damage lingers and often remains irreparable. Keep a respectful tone to your words and behavior.
5. HAVE FUN!
Life is far too short to be in a tizzy all the time. I would venture to say that more than 65% of the time I spend with friends is all about good fun. No matter what you are going through in life, finding time to laugh and celebrate just simply puts the cherry on the sundae of your life.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION:
Now you know how I build smarter relationships with other women. How do you? Share your questions and answers with me at the #Smarter Twitter Party sponsored by Hyundai. That’s right join me in celebrating the ‘SMARTER’ campaign presented by Hyundai with a twitter party to empower and engage women who are smart, sophisticated and mothers!
Here are the details of the #Smarter Twitter Party
- Topic: How to improve your relationships with your spouse/mate, friends and family.
- Date:Wednesday, October 15th
- Time:9PM ET
- Hashtag: #Smarter
- Host: @blackandmarried
- Cohosts: @momsncharge, @JaiStone, @GrownZone, @cafemocharadio and @MommyTalkShow
- Prizes:We will be giving the following 4 great prizes:
- 1st prize – One $25 AMEX Gift Card
- 2nd prize – One $25 AMEX Gift Card
- 3rd prize – One $50 AMEX Gift Card
- 4th prize – One $100 AMEX Gift Card
- Click this link for the official #Smarter Twitter Party rules
WIN A TRIP TO THE NAACP IMAGE AWARDS
Ladies, it’s our time. Visit the Hyundai Smarter web experience and show your power. This is all about sharing the beauty, majesty and strength of strong black women. Visit the HyundaiSmarter.com site for a chance to participate and win in the following:
- Submit your story in 250 words or less sharing how you’re living your life on your terms and how you are being Smarter with what you chose to do. Three (3) lucky ladies will be chosen to win a VIP trip to the 46th NAACP Image Awards in LA . Visit hyundaismarter.com and enter to win and for official rules.
- And, one lucky winner will be driving off that night with the keys to a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited.
- Also, check out The Drive – Smarter Living video series for inspiration from women who gambled on their decision and win.
- “It’s your time; it’s our time; it’s my time. Hyundai Smarter.”
Disclosure: This is part of a compensated campaign with Hyundai to spread the word about their HYUNDAI SMARTER EXPERIENCE PROMOTION. All opinions are my own.
Leave a comment
Latest posts by Jai Stone (Master Brand Coach) (see all)
- Top 3 Ways To Position Your Self As An Authority - August 30, 2017
- 4 Simple Ways To Use Facebook Ads To Convert More Clients - August 23, 2017
- Jai Stone Featured Founder on Selz.com - August 21, 2017