You might have guessed from the title of this post that I’m sort of a super turbo charged Missy Elliot fan. I’ve certainly blogged about her in the past, albeit today, I’m referencing her in a different capacity. But more on her in a bit.
Every brand builder comes to a point where they consider hiring a publicist to increase their visibility, credibility and brand recognition. There are indeed great benefits to being “endorsed” by a major media outlet and ultimately the professional “high five” from big media will increase your bottom line.
Now the big question. Is a publicist worth the money? Welp that all depends on what you want to be your ultimate outcome. But what I can say without a doubt is that you don’t NEED a publicist to attract big media. I’ve certainly had my fair share of media blitz ranging from national print, to national tv (news and entertainment). I have also spent quite a bit of time offering Media Coaching to my clients and who are able to earn the same results. My approach isn’t an accident, it is a tried and true methodology, and you’re in luck because I’m about share a few of my tips with you.
Check the video above, then read the tips below. Let me know what you think of my Missy Elliot impression in the video video (he he he he howww)! (Also here is the throwback of the original video queued to my favorite phrase!). And now for the big woop!
Here are 3 Tips To Become Your Own Supa Dupa Fly Personal Publicist!
BONUS TIP: Be freaking amazing! – Be excellent, be unique and produce content that goes viral! In other words share a bold and unique perspective that helps you stand out and get noticed (Missy style).
1. Have an amazing website. – Media outlets will often vet you by using Google to research your reputation. That search almost always leads them to your website. Impress the heck out of them with both the look and the content. Big media needs to know that they are not connecting their audience to a coo coo! A good looking website sends the message that you are established and trustworthy. Invest in professional photos and a great design. But that in your budget today!
2. Blog, blog, blog and then blog some more! Great content tells big media that you are a thought leader, worthy of the media attention. Producing consistent content also tells them that you are not a plagiarist that just swiped some good text from another site. You want to be viewed as an original idea factory that can just turn out awesomeness at any given moment. This approach is a great look for anyone looking to become a regular contributor to a bigger content publisher.
3. I’m SCREAMING Twittaaaa (that’s Twitter in case you don’t speak NYC slang)!!!! – Twitter is by far the best and most effective way to promote yourself and content from your blog. 100% of content managers for all major media outlets are on Twitter… PERIOD! I don’t think I need to say more about this, but let me expand. The more you tweet the more likely you are to get media attention. Now sure there are a few more steps once you’re on Twitter, but one lil trick that always works for me is creative lead text for my tweets (I explain this in details in the video attached to this post).
Boo yow! There is no time to waste. Let’s get cracking, get ta tweeting and get noticed! And let me know if you need some help!
- Should You Brand Yourself or Your Company? - June 9, 2020
- Dear White People - May 31, 2020
- Brand Your Zoom Background - March 29, 2020