I’m going to make this one short and sweet and let the photos tell most of the story. All this controversy over the hair doo of Gabby Douglas this week just made me sick. I was nauseated for a couple of reasons.
- The chatter over her hair eclipsed the fact that she is right now considered the greatest gymnast in the world, you know with the Olympic God Medals and all.
- The kid is what, 16. Look back at the pictures of most of us when were were 16 and see what we looked like back then.
Just in case you forgot, I took the liberty of pulling out my high school year book and BAM! I rocked that Gheri Curl for years, how was I suppose to know that I looked like a broke down Michael Jackson impersonator (LOL). I had no idea what to do with my hair, back then…but I learned! It took me a while to fully understand what worked for me and what I could wear. Then there was the matter of learning the maintenance of it all. Shoot I’m still learning how to get my eyeshadow jusssstttt right!!
I can’t say that I’m ‘over the moon’ about Gabby’s doo, but I would much rather spend my time talking about all the things she has done RIGHT (back to those Gold Medals again)!! Moreover, she is a kid… she will learn! Until then, I think its our job to protect her and nurture her through that process. I’m so damn proud right now I could burst, and my opinions about her hair are mine to keep to myself.
Gabby, if you read this, just know that I have your back lil sis!! If you’re ever in Atlanta…I will treat you to a full make-over. Not because you need it, but because it’s FUN to be a girl!!
- Should You Brand Yourself or Your Company? - June 9, 2020
- Dear White People - May 31, 2020
- Brand Your Zoom Background - March 29, 2020